A terrific way to start using the Bookbot reading app and to promote good practice habits, or to motivate a reader who needs a little push, is to work together on a 5 day challenge.
Bookbot has provided a printable chart to use as a visual reminder and record of tasks completed.
Start the challenge by printing out the chart and follow the tips below.
- Monday is a great day to start, then read each day through the week. But start as soon as you can, when motivation and excitement is at its highest.
- Choose a reward for completing the challenge. Here are some suggestions.
- A pizza night
- $5 to spend at the shops
- Choose a game to play together
- Go to the movies
- Choose what the family will watch on Friday night
- Choose another activity which is sometimes put off (eg; go to the park, a sleep over or more screen time)
- Stay up half an hour past (weekend) bed time
- Choose a special family dessert
- Make the reward very high value and specific to your child. You are the best judge for what reward will create the most interest.
- Set a suitable time for the reading to be done each day and stick to it as much as possible.
- Set up an alarm on your phone to remind you both it’s reading time.
- Read one book each day. Choose the level that is very comfortable for your child.
- Ensure that the chart and a stamp or stickers are easily accessible over the 5 days.
The aim of the challenge is to provide some external motivation, then transition to more internal forms of motivation and to promote some habit forming behaviours.
Don’t let your child see the reward certificate or stickers beforehand. This will create anticipation. But ensure you have them ready to present on day 5.
When the chart is full and the goal achieved, follow up with the reward, certificate and sticker as soon as possible.